[hpsdr] GPSDR_io - An open standard for time-stamped RF data exchange.

Mike Hamel mike at hrselectronics.com
Sun Aug 2 18:41:17 PDT 2009

Van,

I'm sure the heavy lifters on this group could (if not already done...)
write an algorithm that sifts through the whole IF in the digital domain
and detects a very broadband signal (like a lightning transient) rather
than picking 2 places in the resulting FFT data and checking for common
signals.

It would seem that an array of receivers / antennas in multiple
locations could provide some process gain as well, which is what I think
you are saying here.

I became enamored with this when I was streaming the webSDR in the
Netherlands on my computer and listening to the same frequency on my old
HF rig at the same time. There were some signals I could hear on both,
and the net latency became obvious, but sometimes not actually half bad.

As far as timestamping goes, you want the A/D clocks in the multiple
locations synchronized pretty closely, but maybe it would be more
efficient to timestamp FFT point results and share those rather than
blocks of raw data?

I dunno....I'm in WAY over my head here. I have a general idea how stuff
works but just enough info to be dangerous. As such I apologize for the
"molotov ideas" I've been tossing in here.

Thanks all,

Mike
wo1u