[hpsdr] multiple receivers - is it really necessary

Steve Bunch steveb_75 at ameritech.net
Mon Aug 3 09:06:13 PDT 2009

I used to work for a cellphone company.  When I got cellphones for my
wife and daughters, I told them "This is NOT a phone, it's a radio.
If you think of it as a phone, you'll just be disappointed.  If you
think of it as a radio, you'll be amazed at how well it works."  My
wife occasionally mentions that she remembers that vividly -- for
example, when her call drops when we go through a low spot on the
highway.  :-)   My son's a ham -- no disclaimer was needed when he got
his!

Many modern cellphones have two receiver front ends so they can do
antenna diversity reception.  Even within the size of a cellphone,
less than a wavelength long, you can get a few dB's of benefit from
combining the signals from two antennas (with different polarization,
shadowing, etc.).  In an SDR, this implies multiple front ends down
into multiple A/D converters; in the case of HPSDR, that means
multiple Mercury boards.  Supporting multiple Mercury's, for this and
other fun things, is a Good Idea.

One of the simplest and most useful multi-receiver use cases is
monitoring one or more frequencies, other than the one you're
listening to, while waiting for something to happen.  Lots of people
do this all the time on VHF/UHF, e.g., listening for activity on
simplex or other repeaters while chatting on a repeater, using
multiple radios.  Useful frequencies are often more than 192KHz apart
in the high bands, so if you only have one 192KHz A/D stream coming
from the Mercury to the PC, implementing multiple RX's in your PC SDR
program doesn't do much for you.  But you will be able to listen to
multiple frequencies in an entire band at a time (up to 54MHz of it,
anyway!) using a single-Mercury HPSDR and a transverter, once the
Mercury firmware support for multiple rx is available.

It is certainly nice, and probably preferable from a flexibility
standpoint, to do multiple-rx on a wide band in an SDR by scooping a
lot of bandwidth into the PC and doing ALL the processing there, but
for narrow-band work, especially in a very wide frequency band, you
just don't need to use so much brute force.  Putting multiple NCO/
filter chains into the FPGA and sending multiple narrower streams to
the PC should take much less processing power (and less REAL power --
using USRP/GNUradio on a Pentium D, my AC power consumption went up by
over 15W to listen to FM broadcast).  It's a Good Idea.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in on this!

Steve, K9SRB