[hpsdr] multiple receivers - is it really necessary

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 18:00:56 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Mike Hamel<mike at hrselectronics.com> wrote:

> At the risk of maybe dragging this thread too far from the intended
> topic, I had been thinking that one of the possible "big picture"
> capabilities of multiple SDR stations located within a few miles of each
> other could be a scenario where they share streaming raw data over the
> net in such a way as to create an effectively huge aperture antenna for
> receiving DX.
>
> Packet timestamping, phase alignment and the consequences of net latency
> would make it a bit off from "real-time" but it seems like it should be
> possible with internet connected SDRs.

The hard part is, everyone mixers need use the same IF.  So here is an
application for very, very precise timekeeping.  You'd need an
ultra-stable local oscillator that was likely GPS corrected.  Finally
a practical use for those "over the top" clocks.

In the old days of radio astronomy they used to mail tapes and they'd
be combined at a central facility.  Now the Internet is fast enough.
Or rather if you pick a narrow enough bandwidth it is fast enough.

But why use the Internet.  If we are talking about HF antenn in the
same city then why not Microwave or an upper VHF band?  Those can be
real time not packetized.

--
=====
Chris Albertson