[hpsdr] Fw: multiple receivers - is it really necessary

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 07:44:56 PDT 2009

It is not even half full and this is as I expected it would be.

I am wondering if the FPGA experts here can answer the following question.

Can we implement a 512 point complex FFT running once every 1024 samples
(decimated from the full rate or not and only needed to run > 60 msps)?

If the answer to this is yes,  can we run 1024  4 or 5 taps filters
running in parallel once every 1024 samples?

If so,  we can replace the guts with a full polyphase filter bank
implementation and channelize the ENTIRE HF SPECTRUM in 30 kHz bands
(very high SFDR) which can be sent to computer as needed and recombined
(synthesized) to make up whole bands.  The USB port in Ozzie/Mercury
will support many MHz of bandwidth.  We need < 4 MHz to not drop a
single Hz of HF.

I am not an FPGA programmer.  I will lead one to the implementation if
we so choose.  fred harris and I have perfected the variable bandwidth
polyphase filter bank channelizer (and will be the topic for our SDR
Forum paper in a couple of months) while I cannot give this paper out
until the conference is concluded (that is the agreement you make), it
will be okay to give it to a working partner.

I will specify a complete design in octave/matlab so others can run it
and see it work if I get an FPGA partner to implement it.

Bob