[hpsdr] HPSDR New Board Production Status, 6 Aug 2009

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Thu Aug 6 14:27:19 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Just a quick update on where we are with several new boards to help
alleviate information vacuum syndrome and help get you through the
dog days of August.

Pennywhistle:
All parts are on order. Estimated arrival of all parts except PCB and
heat sink is Aug 21.

Heatsinks are 8 weeks out (they must be cut, drilled and tapped), or
about the end of September.

The plan is to have the parts kits and PCBs ready to go so that we
can begin shipping when the heat sinks arrive at the end of next month.

Production run will be 500 kits, so we held the cost to the original amount.

Excalibur:
Parts are being ordered now. I don't have an estimate yet for
completion, but it is likely to be about a week after Pennywhistle,
or the end of August.

If there are no long lead time items (I don't know of any), we should
be ready to kit early next month and ship toward the end of September.

Production run will be 400 kits.

Alex:
I have not been able to get the toroids built in a cost effective or
time effective manner, so you get the privilege of winding your own.

We will build the boards without the toroids installed. The boards
will be partially assembled, either just the SMT parts or SMT plus
relays and connectors, depending on how good a deal the CM makes us
on the assembly. We will supply the cores and wire for you to wind
your own coils.

We are in the process of re-costing Alex to determine if we need to
adjust the price.  Unfortunately the raw cores actually cost more
than the pre-wound ones that our Chinese CM promised (but could not
deliver), so the price may increase slightly. I am trying to make it
as inexpensive as possible, but be prepared.

If the cost increases significantly, we will do another show of interest.

I know that we are all impatient for Alex, and it has taken too long.
Keep in mind that I am just as impatient as you are. :-)  We're doing
the best that we can.

I'll post more info as I get it...

73,
Scotty WA2DFI