[hpsdr] Thunderbolt GPS

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 16:46:54 PDT 2009

Hi Francis, All,

What PLL board are you referring to?

I just connected my Thunderbolt 10 MHz output straight to the Atlas bus
(C-16)  and it seems to work. (Via a 100 nF capacitor)

Quick and dirty, but it's a really nice experience to tune to DCF77 at 77.5
KHz long wave (as you may know one of the Time/Frequency transmitters here
in Europe), using an IF-bandwidth of only 25 Hz and be spot on, in one go!
No tuning from wider IF to the final 25 Hz IF-bandwidth to be able to "find"
the station amongst (believe me!)  a lot of man made QRM at my temporary
QTH, being in the center of my home town, using only a provisional indoor
antenna of some length of wire!

But of course the proper way of interfacing my HPSDR setup, using Excalibur
on the Atlas-bus would be my preferred solution.

I hope Excalibur will be available as a kit without the TXCO; it saves some
money for the people with an external precision frequency source.
If not, I hope that bare boards will be available at some time, so people
can build their own version.

73's,

Henry.