[hpsdr] Cascading A/D Converters

Steve Bunch steveb_75 at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 19 08:19:43 PDT 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 3:14 AM, alex wrote:

> no i think that it would work, you divide the 1ghz into 5 so you
> have 40 mhz at 72 deg phase, so each adc did every 5th sample
>
> you would need a fpga that worked at 1ghz though

You should be able to take 5 samples in parallel into the FPGA on the
last clock in the sequence -- it's got lots of I/O pins.  The earlier
samples will be latched and waiting for you.  So at least you don't
have to clock the data into the FPGA at 1GHz (though you still have to
clock accurately -- a big enough challenge!).

As Alex observed in a later email, these are only 8-bit ADC's, and
(especially being overclocked) may not even be delivering 8 bits of
resolution.  For a scope with a small screen, it's probably just fine
since the vertical height is probably not more than 256 pixels anyway
and the pixels will be small, so small errors won't be noticed.  With
a bit of smoothing, it should look just fine.  If you were just
watching for signals in a fairly empty area of spectrum (that is, not
much dynamic range), or looking only at strong signals, 8 bits might
be enough.  For a general-purpose communications receiver, 8 bits is
not enough dynamic range.

If you don't mind that it's not continuously sampled (e.g., for a
spectrum scanner), you could use a single 16-bit ADC, putting switched
bandpass filters in front of it, and step through 50 MHz chunks of
spectrum quickly, undersampling with the ADC.  With the LTC2208, you
could get up to at least 300MHz that way, with increasing degradation
in accuracy with each higher band -- and unfortunately, with at least
a half dozen challengingly-difficult bandpass filters.  So it's not a
simple project, though if you only wanted a few specific sub-bands
(e.g., ham bands), you would only need a couple of much simpler
filters, and it looks more interesting (there are some folks doing
this for 2M with their HPSDR's, I understand).  The advantage of that
approach is that you'd then be able to demodulate anything you found
interesting, and even though you won't get a full 16 bits of dynamic
range and accuracy (you don't anyway... more like 14 at baseband)
you'd still be getting well over 8 bits.  You'd want to compare this
with just putting a downconverter in front of your ADC, which might be
simpler and work better.  Hmm... isn't that basically what Cyclops
does?  :-)

Steve, K9SRB