[hpsdr] Much success on winusb in KISS

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sun Dec 20 09:12:14 PST 2009

Dear All,

After last weekend's good luck in converting Alberto's C++ code to C#
(thanks much Alberto!) and using the WinUSB driver .inf file and driver pack
that Alberto prepared, I was able this weekend to finish my work and have
KISS working using WinUSB.

What I've done is to prepare an assembly, WinUSBManaged.dll, built in C#,
and the small programs LoadFW.exe, LoadFPGA.exe and WriteI2C.exe that use
this assembly, along with converting KISS to use this assembly.

I HAVE AUDIO!  And all control functions seem to work.  Now the one caveat
is that the audio seems possibly a bit choppy at times, but that could
easily be due to the computer that I'm using, and the fact that it has so
much installed and running on it, despite being a quad-core i7 lga-1136
2.8ghz processor.  And it's definitely much better if I turn off the
full-spectrum (0-50mhz) display.

I've implemented most of the functions that are in the PowerSDR project
HPSDR_USB_LIB_V1.1, especially those in the ozy.cs file.

What I don't have implemented is read/write via timeout.  But since Alberto
had functions that could do overlapped IO, I have the basis for doing that
if needed.  Right now, all USB IO is blocking.  That's possibly good enough
at this point for some testing, especially to see if it works on Vista and
Windows 7, especially the 64 bit versions.  I have had PowerSDR and KISS
work on Windows 7, 32 bit, in a VMWare VM, using libusb0.

I also know that Phil Covington has libusb0 drivers for AMD 64 bit (but not
Intel 64 bit aka ia64).  You may wish to try those drivers which Phil uses
for QS1RServer if you have an AMD 64 bit processor.

Once I get some help posting my code up to my branch of KISS, it will be
available for you all to test.  You will need to download Alberto's WinRad
from weaksignals.com to get his driver for WinUSB, which is what I used.

For those of you interested in WinUSB, I suggest a website,
http://www.lvr.com/winusb.htm, for lots of info on USB, ethernet, serial
ports, etc., some books by the website maintainer, and sample code for .NET
(both c# and vb.net).

Vy 73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV

database 4703 (20091220) __________