[hpsdr] Mercury tuning question

Alfred Green nu8i at cox.net
Tue Dec 1 16:09:11 PST 2009

Andrew wrote:

> Hi,
> Not having a Mercury and only having used PowerSDR with a Softrock
> type devices I'm wondering if there are any differences in the way you
> can tune Mercury.
> With a Softrock and PowerSDR you can clicktune on a signal on the
> panadapter and because the QSD uses a ~9kHz IF the whole panadapter
> display shifts to the clicked frequency and the signal of interest is
> demodulated.
>
> With a direct sampling receiver this shouldn't be necessary. What I
> aspire to do one day when I have a Hermes is to display a fixed 192kHz
> bit of spectrum i.e. a ham band on the panadapter and be able to click
> on a signal and demodulate that signal without the panadapter
> shifting. Is this possible already? I would like to use Hermes for
> contests and this feature would be a boon.

This is an enhancement that I and others have requested from FLEX. It is
usually referred to as 'locking the panadaptor'. In my case I would like
it for my FLEX3000 when 6m is open, but there are many other situations
where preserving the visual situation of band activity would be desirable.
 From discussions we have had over on the FLEX sites this turns out not
to be a trivial issue. They hope to have it out in V2, but no
guarantees. Of course, there is no reason that PowerSDR will even
support hpsdr at that release.

For my hpsdr system I have been playing with KK the last few months, and
that could probably do what you need. My programming skills are nowhere
near the level to implement it, though. Also take a look at some of the
fine work by Mr. Melton.

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale  AZ  DM43an