[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Paul Fletcher paul at melreed.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 11:52:26 PST 2009

This discussion is reminding me of the layered model for communications - it
starts at the bottom with the physical layer e.g. electrical standards and
works it's way up until you get to how applications talk to one another.

Could we adopt a similar approach (although we are already building on some
of the layers that exist)? I guess the equivalent of the physical layer
would be how applications connect - 1:1 1:many or many:many.

We would then move on to how the types of data are transferred, e.g. high
speed/bulk time critical, high speed non-time critical, low speed non-time
critical.

Once that is established we could consider the nature of the data and how it
is framed and build on that going up the tree.

By adopting this approach if we want to introduce say a new command, the
methods of transferring the command are defined and the server / client need
to have code added to handle said new command.

So perhaps a way to structure the discussion is to break the problem down
into layers to help focus on what we would need to address and how we might
go about it? This might also flush out the different things people want from
HPSDR.

Ramble over.

73 Paul M1PAF