[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Murray Lang murray.lang at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 2 18:44:08 PST 2009

Hi Chris,

This is still really a bottom up approach I think. As hams we tend to be
preoccupied with communications and jump straight into trying to solve
these technical issues first then work outwards as an afterthought. This
works, but I think is the reason we still have no application level
standard after all these years. Obviously we'll get nowhere without
solving the technical issues, but I think some time should also be set
aside to contemplate an entirely *abstract* API.

I think such an API would simply describe a collection of appliances
with a collection of settings. The settings would have a name, a data
type and a range of valid values. The API would also have to provide a
means of discovering the available appliances and determining their
capabilities . At some lower level these would be described by a
configuration file or service. An interesting question is how you would
deal with and represent radios with multiple receivers.

With such a standard API available, people talented at user interface
development could focus entirely on that. How the physical device is
driven and where it is situated is not relevant. Friendly hard working
boffins will plug in all those nuts and bolts underneath.

The language used to describe the API is an issue in itself. However I
think that this doesn't matter much in the early stages - get the
semantics ironed out in a language of convenience then worry about how
it might be published.

</2c>
Murray VK6HL