[hpsdr] repository move needed

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed Dec 16 08:26:39 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 01:44:54PM -0500, Bob McGwier wrote:

> The repository is sustaining a large number of very large requests.  It
> has gotten to the point that our maintainer is entertaining complaints
> from the commercial users who are sharing the internet connection.
>
> Flex shutdown all access to its tree (same server) and required log in
> and password after the maintainer brought a complaint.  This did NOTHING
> to relieve the bandwidth issue and has pissed off Flex customers to say
> the least.  Several of the transactions have been the size of a CD (in
> the last 24 hours) and it simply cannot be Flex or its developers
> because they have been gone for days.  The entire PIPE is 1.5 mbps.
>
> It cannot be dttsp since it has long since moved its operations to
> https://www.cgran.org. It is not the issue.
>
> That leaves one "customer":  hpsdr downloaders.  This is unsustainable.
>  hpsdr, as a group, and flex as a company are just going to have to
> bite the bullet and arrange for their own servers because we have all
> but overstayed our welcome.  We all need a plan and soon.

While I can't offer hosting (a cablemodem just isn't going to hack it),
I can and do offer an ID for the developer(s) so that they can rsync a
security copy to my machine at will or retrieve one at will. The box is
running FreeBSD 7.1 at the moment. Developers or a spokesperson are
invited to get in touch with me offlist.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin