[hpsdr] Disabling 10 MHz clock on Penelope

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Mon Dec 21 10:12:50 PST 2009

Hi Alberto,
  When there's no 10 MHz reference clock, the phase-locked loop built
around each of the 122.88 MHz
VCOs have no reference signal, so those VCOs just free-run, at some
frequency ("of their choice").  Since their
tuning range is small, their unlocked frequency isn't terribly far from
the exact value, but it will be different
for each VCO.  Thus, if you stay away from band edges, and don't care
exactly what frequency you're listening
to or transmitting on, you don't need any 10 MHz clock.  (That's hardly
"high performance".)

Dave
wa8ywq