[hpsdr] A Mercury tail: A case for Alex

a.groff k0vm at mchsi.com
Mon Feb 2 09:00:21 PST 2009

       I have been using Mercury/Ozy/Pentalope for most of my day to day
operation for the past few week.  Yesterday while listening on the 20
meter band late in the afternoon, I noticed intermittent ADC overload
indications and increasing 20 meter noise floor.  I have an external 100
watt amplifier attached and was listening through the amps low pass
filter attached to a multi-band vertical ( Hygain 620 AVQ - 20 thru 6
meters).  After some tuning around, I found a fellow ham 4 miles away
operating on 160 meter band.  I turned off the Mercury preamp control
(i.e. enabled the input attenuator) and the ADC overload and increased
20 meter noise floor when away.

      Its easy to forget that with no input selectivity, turning on the
preamp to hear the weak ones on that higher bands also turns on the same
preamp for all frequencies and increases the opportunity for ADC
overload on all frequencies.

       I had though that the 20-6 meter vertical would not have been
that efficient at 160.
       Although there are close to 50 hams in a 4 mile radii, none had
previously given me any problems with overload on the Mercury or the
Flex 5K.
       With a high pass antenna tuner, half octave band pass input
filters or ALEX, I most likely would not have had a problem.

Al, K0VM