[hpsdr] Help please

Bob Cowdery bob at bobcowdery.plus.com
Tue Feb 3 12:39:14 PST 2009

Hi all,

I've just put together a Mercury/Ozy/Janus system. I don't normally use
XP, PowerSDR and I've never seen an HPSDR system in the flesh before
last weekend so treat me as a beginner.

I'm having a spot of bother, I thought the best way to test out was to
do it to the book before I start playing on my own. I don't believe this
is relevant but I am using XP in VMWare on a Ubuntu host. I've got
VMWare Workstation 6.5 which supports USB 2.0.

I've got the latest software from SVN as of tonight. Everything powers
up and I think the right leds are on. The firmware seems to load ok
except all the I2C writes fail even though I have a Janus board. When I
run up PowerSDR and configure it I am just greeted with very high noise
level and nothing really discernible as a signal except some very
distorted AM stations. I'm not testing in the shack - too cold so just
running a small indoor aerial (but it works ok on SDR1000). I suspect a
noisy PSU but its a new PC type one for quickness. It's plenty capable
but it sounds much more than just PSU noise and I don't know why that
would cause distortion.

I've played sample rates and buffer size. Nothing makes any difference
except 192K and 512 starts to break up the audio a bit.

I don't know how to debug this, is something broken or have I done
something stupid - the latter I hope.

Thanks
Bob
G3UKB