[hpsdr] PennyWhistle - Call for Comments

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 15:05:22 PST 2009

All:

Before I do a layout of the (hopefully) final
version of PennyWhistle, I would like to call
for comments.

If this is something you would be interested in,
please review...

http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=PENNYWHISTLE

It has been updated with an "off the shelf" output
transformer from Communications Concepts, as well
as the power output versus frequency plots have
been added.

Questions:

Do you prefer BNC versus the SMA connectors shown?

Considering the differences in power output at
6 Meters versus HF, should a relay be added that
would switch the output peaking between HF and
6 Meters, or is the performance with a fixed
capacitor at one setting or the other adequate
for your purposes?   (that is, keep it simple)

Is a bare board kit preferable if it saves multiple
months for availability?  Are you comfortable
building a kit with about two dozen SMT parts?

I have a suggestion from Phil H to add a feedback
winding to (optionally) reduce gain and increase linearity
when used as a driver for linears.

I have a suggestion from Lyle J. to try the RD15HVF1
in place of the RD16HFF1 transistors to increase
performance at 6 Meters.

--- Graham / KE9H

==