[hpsdr] Hysteresis, and driving a TS-830.

Jeff Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Mon Feb 16 12:50:00 PST 2009

Since receiving the Mercury module I've been thoroughly enjoying myself
playing with my HPSDR transceiver. I've got it coupled up to HRD (Ham
Radio Deluxe) using Virtual Com Ports and Virtual Audio Cables, the
connection speed is 57,000 baud, however, there is a noticeable delay
(hysteresis) effect apparent. There is approximately a one second delay
in commands from HRD taking effect in the HPSDR transceiver, is there
anything I can do about this?  I notice no delay whatsoever when using
the above to control my FT-847, I'm assuming that the delay is due to my
using four pieces of software (HRD, Virtual Com port, Virtual audio
cable, and PowerSDR) in series. Is there anything I can do to eradicate
or at least reduce the delay?

As you know, the output from the HPSDR transceiver is 500 mW and I've
got this coupled to the signal grid of the driver valve of my old
Kenwood TS-830S. The impedance mismatch must surely be phenomenal, the
output impedance of the HPSDR is 50 ohms whereas the input impedance of
the 12BY7A driver valve I would guess to be about 500 K ohms,
fortunately this does not have quite the deleterious effect that one
might expect, presumably because it is not necessary to deliver much in
the way of power into the 12BY7A in order for it to work. However, I
find that whereas the output of the TS-830S under its own steam is 100
W, but when driven by HPSDR it is 60 W. Can any of you suggest an
impedance matching circuit that will enable the HPSDR to successfully
drive the TS-830S?

Google for once has not come up with the answer, but then perhaps I'm
not asking the right question.

Brief Computer Specification.

2.13 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache