[hpsdr] Last Word on U5?

Jeff Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Thu Feb 19 13:00:58 PST 2009

Dear All,

Today I spent $25 on an infrared thermometer, I bought it for one thing
only, and now that I've used it for that one thing I shall probably
never use it again.  And so to justify the expenditure and of course in
order to brag just a little I'm going to give you the following information.

U5 (Mercury's hot little Chip) after 5 minutes use has a temperature of
60.8° C
U5 After 5 minutes use with small computer fan turned on, temperature
40.6° C

Now I know that my human digit and a lump of silicon have different
ideas as to just what constitutes hot, but I can't help feeling happier
knowing that U5 is running 20°C cooler when fan assisted.

I just love electronic gadgets.  I bought a weather station today too,
anybody want to know how the weather is doing in Burscough?

Jeff Cook G0AFQ.