[hpsdr] Janus for Radio Astronomy

hartfuss hartfuss at ipp.mpg.de
Thu Feb 5 00:05:32 PST 2009

Barney, that's very interesting. I would be pleased to see a block
diagram of the whole set-up and to get information about the antenne you
are using.
To measure the 21 cm-line is still on my program for the next years. I
also thought to use PowerSDR and it's nice features, however, then also
realized the problem with the somewhat too small bandwidth you mentioned.
To see the full Doppler-shift when looking into the arms of the galaxy,
the bandwidth should be at least 1.5 MHz. Not long ago somebody
mentioned her in the reflector that and how (FPGA programming) this
should easily be possible with Mercury.
A few years ago I already build a down-converter 1420 to 145 MHz with
two different LOs to apply frequency hopping and lock-in difference
technique to recover the spectral information (line shape) with
sufficient S/R, which works. The line then should be scanned by sweeping
the frequency of the  2m-receiver.
It has, due to other activities, not been completly finished so far.
It would be nice to stay in contact.
Best 73s, Hans , DL2MDQ.