[hpsdr] Failed to program Mercury

bob at bobcowdery.plus.com bob at bobcowdery.plus.com
Thu Feb 5 05:05:08 PST 2009

Dale

It's a long road I've been down with VM's. I've been running VMWare Server
1.x (free) for a couple of years and loved it. It made life very easy for
backups and switching to a new OS version with no risk and no pain, for
having a clean OS to test installs, and to separate my life into different
VM's - I'm completely sold on virtulisaion. Then comes along HPSDR. I need
USB2 support which VMWare Server 1.x does not have but 2.0 does. I
download and install 2.0 to find it's a totally different beast, web based
interface and really no longer suitable for a workstation - it is the
server edition proper. I didn't like the interface, couldn't figure how to
do a lot of things I did before so threw it in the bin. I downloaded
VMWare Workstation (not free, 30 day trial) which looked exactly like
VMWare Server 1.x except it supported USB2 and had a few nice features
like shared folders. Great I thought, I'm even prepared to pay for it.

Before I did this I looked at VirtualBox and couldn't decide if it
supported USB2 or not. It looks like the closed version does but whether
it will be any better than VMWare I don't know. If I find I have any enery
left after all this I will give it a try.

73
Bob
G3UKB