[hpsdr] Alex

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 17:51:57 PST 2009

Hi Lyle, All,

I think the price is kind of high too, but I think 10% (abt. US$ 25?) isn't
worth the trouble of doing the board yourself?

A full swing transceiver HPSDR project can turn out to be quite pricey.

(A sick joke would be that the "HP" in HPSDR would stand for "High
Price"......... ;-) . Sorry couldn't resist....)

I think though that this board could be done fairly easy as a kit for the
average ham, compared to the other HPSDR boards; provided good instructions
were available, esp. for the winding of the toroids, testing etc.
(Testing could be THE big-plus of assembled and tested boards (filters!!)
though!)
So in this case I would opt for a DIY kit too if it were offered by TAPR and
if the price reduction was considerably more than "just" 10%; I didn't
however do an estimate on the component cost, so I have no idea what could
be a reasonable kit price.

On the other hand I think the kitting itself would be a tremendous job for
TAPR, compared to the "testing only" of the assembled boards?

I wonder as to what were the reasons of TAPR to not offer bare boards and/or
a "difficult component kit" (toroids?) like in previous designs? (I probably
missed something?)

This may sound a lot like complaining, but is not.
This is not intended to dismiss any of all the good work done by the people
from TAPR and the HPSDR community in any way!!!
Just thinking about options.

Thank you again guys!!

73's,

Henry.