[hpsdr] Mercury V2.6

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu Feb 12 04:36:46 PST 2009

Hi Grant,

Yes, you should be able to now put Mercury in any slot. The reason that this
took so long to track down was that initially neither Bill, KD5DTF, or I
were able to reproduce the problem.  Graham , KE9H, was able to find a
combination of boards that enabled me to replicate the problem.

The problem was that the I2S encoder in Mercury would stop for some reason,
although the simulator showed it working correctly.  Kirk, KD5IRS, used the
Quartus SignalTap feature to confirm that it was indeed a problem in the I2S
encoder. I found that by bringing the I2S state machine status out to an
FPGA pin for testing the problem went away.  Kirk suggested this was due the
the way Quartus was realising the state machine logic and suggested changing
a Quartus setting to

Analysis & Synthesis Settings > More Settings> State Machine Settings  =
User-Encoded

thus forcing the method Quartus would use to implement the state machine.
This appears to have done the trick - unless someone finds otherwise!

Thanks to all involved - an nice piece of detective work.

73's Phil...VK6APH