[hpsdr] Someone has to be last.

Jeff Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Sun Jan 11 13:35:08 PST 2009

I've been watching this list with growing excitement as Mercury was
reported as having been seen in the Arctic Circle, Australia, Latvia,
Italy, and just about everywhere else.  Now I can have the pleasure of
reporting to you all that Mercury has landed in Liverpool, someone has
to be last and I think that someone is me.

What a smashing piece of kit, apart from a little fussiness as to what
position the modules like to be placed in Atlas, it worked straight out
of the box.  So along with all the others that have expressed their
thanks may I also expressed thanks to the Design Team, the TARP people,
Construction and Dispatch, and to anybody else involved in providing me
with this gorgeous piece of cutting edge technology.

I followed Phil Harman's instructions on programming the EPCS16 and have
installed Mercury Code version 2.3 without any problem, (why has 2.4
been given the cold shoulder)?  Now instructions really have to be
foolproof for me to get it right first time, so congratulations to Phil
for producing such an easy to follow guide.  I guess that my using XP
helps in this respect, I gave up on Vista a long time ago.

I would concur with those whom carried out the finger test on the A/D
chip and grew a blister, I too now have an index finger blister. Francis
Carcia has mused that he may well fit a heatsink to his chip, I have a
suggestion here, I would almost certainly destroy Mercury if I tried to
do such a thing, however even I have managed to rig a small fan close-up
to the A/D chip, and now if I wish I can place my finger on the A/D chip
all day and all I would suffer would be boredom.

I really am enjoying this.

Jeff Cook G0AFQ.