[hpsdr] Updating Mercury firmware

Paul Beckmann wa0rse at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 07:43:37 PST 2009

This is fun!

I wanted to update my Mercury to v2.3 or v2.4 but am brand-new to svn
repositories, FPGA's, JTAG, etc. I didn't find any instructions in the wiki
so I started digging this morning. I had found and downloaded Tortoise
Subversion software for Windows earlier and installed it. I still didn't
know where the magic instructions were, though. I think I've found them and
here's the 'diary' so far:

Found it... and thought I'd pass it along to those newbies that might be
wandering in the darkness with me:

You've probably noticed the Subversion software and URL's that start with
svn: instead of http: One of these is the repository of all the software
people are developing for the hpsdr project. It is given on the HPSDR.org
Resources page:

svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/

To access this repository, you need to install a Subversion software front
end. Under Windows, TortoiseSVN is suggested on the Resources page as well.
Install it.

If you want to copy (I think that's what it's doing) all the software from
the repository to your local disk, right click on the desktop and select
"SVN checkout..." from the popup menu. Put the svn URL in the "URL of
repository" box and hit "OK". A box will pop up asking if you want to create
a subdirectory on your local HD for the downloaded files. Hit yes. Another
box pops up as the files start downloading. (There are many of them. I'm at
about 220MB so far and it's still running.)

The default location for me created a folder on the desktop
"repos_sdr_hpsdr". If you open that up, even while the download continues,
you'll notice a folder "trunk". (Many of these folders have big green check
marks on them. Not sure what they mean...) Open that up. A bunch of other
folders are present, one called "USBBlaster-Binaries". If you open that up,
you'll see the instructions for updating in the README file. There's a lot
more to do to but the instructions are there that will eventually, it seems,
get new firmware into your Mercury.

73
--Paul, wa0rse