[hpsdr] SB104A Power Amp

Daniel Quigley dquigley at msn.com
Sat Jan 3 21:29:35 PST 2009

Hi Jeff,

I am working on interfacing a salvaged SB-104A PA and Penny too.  I am not a broadband RF amp expert by any means, but here is what I know so far:

The SB-104A  PA input impedence should be about 50 ohms. Because the SB-104A driver stage is connected directly to the antenna when in low-power mode.  So Penny should interface directly without a transformer.

The SB-104A driver stage is spec'd at 1w minimum CW and SSB.  I've seen 1.5w out on my working SB-104A so levels seems compatible too.

The PA is probably biased AB1 - though I don't know that with certainty. The bias circuit uses a circular power 16 ohm resistor mounted under the SB-104A chassis and a hefty diode mounted to the PA heatsink.

The LPF board is manually switched (from the bandswitch) and covers 80-10m. I don't know how the filter will behave on the 160m or WARC bands.   Initially I plan to use the Heath LPF board, but I plan on using Alex once that board is available.

ALC is derived off of a sensor on the LPF board - and is used pretty much throughout the SB-104A TX chain; that combined with no SWR protection on the PA probably means ALC and PA protection is going to be one interface challenge.

The SB-104A T/R relay biases the and routes RF from the driver stage through the PA - interfacing that seems easy enough.

I don't know how the PA will perform above 30mhz.

With any luck I will have some time during the next few days to work on this more and will let you know what I find out.

73,
Dan