[hpsdr] [dttsp-linux] intel 330 x86-64

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Fri Jan 9 22:26:23 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Edson Pereira <ewp_jp at ybb.ne.jp> wrote:

> It seems we are converging on a hardware platform. What do you think about
> using a common distribution? Does the group think we should use Ubuntu
> 8.04.1 or 8.10?

Like it says in my current sig, this may not be a good thing. For many
reasons I believe we should be working towards a system that's as inclusive
as possible. Sure, that means some extra effort up front, but the
longer-term payback is incalculable.

>From the very first sdr-core and vrk have been designed with an eye towards
supporting a multiplicity of hardware and software platforms and
environments. We're closer than ever to being able to have components that
work together seamlessly, while being created in whatever language and with
whatever tools are most convenient for individual developers and users.

Anything further I might say right now is likely to degenerate into a
philosophical rant, so I'll stop here. But I would urge anybody involved
even peripherally in our SDR development efforts to remember how
monumentally harmful it is that the amateur radio digital world is so
profoundly Windows-centric, and that we should be especially careful not to
blunder into a similar situation of our own making.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
Designing software that works on the assumption that everyone will have your
client is like designing a society on the assumption that everyone will just