[hpsdr] LTC 2208 A/D Thermal Characteristics

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 08:39:37 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Eduardo Jacob <edu at kender.es> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't know if this can add some data to the discussion. I measured
> temperatures in my mercury with a (old but unused)  Tektronix temperature
> probe with an old Tektronix 2465DMS scope and with an ambient temperature of
> 18.5 C it gives 44.7 C (after an hour running) . The probe is in contact
> with the center of the IC. The ambient temperature measured with the probe
> is quite close to another mercury (btw) thermometer I have (which is also
> uncalibrated)
>
> Eduardo/EA2BAJ

This lends credibility to my assertion that measuring the temperature
of the LTC2208 during testing is a good way to determine if the ADC's
thermal pad is soldered correctly.  If you are seeing 45 C and others
are seeing 70 C on Mercury, it points to those who have the 70 C temps
have LTC2208s with thermal pads that were possibly not soldered
correctly.  There should not be a range of 25 - 30 C in ADC
temperatures.

Phil N8VB