[hpsdr] LTC 2208 A/D Thermal Old School

jim goldenberg n1kwz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 16:47:26 PST 2009

There has been much discussion on heat generated by the 2208 - yes it gets hot - yes it seems to be within ratings.  I design conduction cooled mil/aero products and we almost always run chip above and below manufacturer specification.  Heat will affect MTBF.  While my Mercury is still just sitting out on the table I simply turned my ATX power supply on its side so the fan blows over the board close to the ADC.  Since the power supply is not pulling much power the fan is essentially blowing ambient air over the chip and it really cools it down.  It doesn't take much airflow to do this and you elimenate any potential thermal problem.

Jim N1KWZ