[hpsdr] PowerSDR Request

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Fri Jan 16 15:55:25 PST 2009

Hi Mark,

I'm sure Bill, KD5TFD, will reply to your request regarding frequency
adjustment.  You are correct that the version of Mercury in \trunk\Mercury
V2 has some new test code for use with an external 10MHz reference input.
There are a few folks working on this at the moment and I am sure they will
let us know the results in due course.

The clocks on HPSDR  have the feature of being  phase locked to a 10MHz
reference on either Penny, Mercury or via an external signal on Atlas bus
C16.

Feeding an external GPS locked 10MHz clock into Atlas C16 is what is being
worked on at the moment.  A 3.3v square wave with low Z drive and a 2/3nS
rise time looks to be needed. This works OK when Penny or Mercury drives C16
but is proving a little more difficult from an external source.

The latest test code samples the 10MHz source at 122.88MHz, a technique used
successfully by Greg ZL3IX, and we are waiting to see the results.

Michael, N3UC, has found that replacing the 122.88MHz to 80kHz divider with
a PLL increases the performance significantly.

There is also a facility to connect an external clock to Mercury at J8 -
this has also been tested with very good results.

Good to see so much experimentation going on with  Mercury hardware and
software.

73's Phil....VK6APH