[hpsdr] Mercury arrived

Roger Hayter roger at hayter.org
Sat Jan 17 05:42:41 PST 2009

Chris,

I did much less well than you!  For a start the price on the customs
label has been corrected (who knows where) by hand to the correct price
including carriage, which is actually the way VAT is supposed to be
worked out.  This is $362 rather than $329.  I haven't got the exchange
rate they used, but I was charged £36.21 VAT (suggesting £241.40 which
is about right at $1.50 to the £).  However I have also been charged
import duty of £8.61 as well as the collection fee of £8, making a total
of £52.82.  I wonder if it is worth me arguing with them, do you know
the import duty rules for amateur radio sub-assemblies?

Roger GW8BFO

In message <20090116102503.06AE58039 at diego.dreamhost.com>, Chris Smith
<chris at vspl.co.uk> writes