[hpsdr] Dynamic range.

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 18:37:26 PST 2009

These are almost in 100% in agreement with my calculated values (+/- 1
dB). -14 dBm (calculated -15 dBm) should block and I calculate the
dynamic range to be 105 dB and agree with your MDS. It should be
impressive to anyone. That level of dynamic range is quite hard to
measure accurately so let's say that is "more than enough". It would be
my suggestion for those wishing to use this on low bands to raise the
overload by using filters and attenuation to bring the MDS up to the
level of the atmospheric noise floor. On a crowded 160m band (say during
a contest) MONSTROUS signals here on the east coast of the U.S. and in
Europe on broadcast bands are important enough to not waste sensitivity
that you cannot use.

Thanks to Phil's, Bill, Lyle, and TAPR and others for this great work.

Bob
N4HY

FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:

> Hi All.
> I finally got a chance to check the dynamic range with the latest
> software on 75 meters. I started with two signals spaced 2.5 KHz apart
> and worked out to 50 KHz spacing. The spur made audio with both
> signals around -26 dBM. So with an MDS around -136 dBM at 500 Hz.
> bandwidth we are looking at a dynamic range of 110 dB. Blocking
> happens when listening to one signal at MDS and the other at around
> -14 dBM.
> I'm impressed.
> Above tests with no attenuator switched in. I have not replaced the
> relay yet.
> Frank WA1GFZ

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
“Order and simplification are the first steps
toward the mastery of a subject.”, Mann