[hpsdr] Mercury v2.4 -- still distorted audio ( Atom 330 )

W4sc www4sc at alltel.net
Sat Jan 24 19:13:49 PST 2009

Paul

I assume you are running Win XP...

How much memory installed in your Atom330??  I suggest upgrading to 2
GBytes if not there.

Make sure hyper-threading and dual-core are enable in BIOS.  Board should
have been delivered with those enabled, but always good to check. You can
check this with perfmon, 4 cpu utilization windows (2 cores, and 2
hyperthreads) will show up if all ok there.

Settings used are 192K OR 96K sampling, 1024 Audio Buffer, 512 DSP buffer.

W4EFZ and I had Penelope/PwrSDR and SDR-IQ/Spectraview running, and
cruising internet, all at same time on his Atom330, no problems.  CPU

PCI USB card (must be USB 2.0 compliant)  will not help..unless OB USB is
broken...

Check USB cable ( a long shot).  Try another.

Inspect Atlas bus VERY carefully.... Make SURE no bad solder joints,,or
solder flash/wiskers,, clean good on pin side.

Try different slots for Qzy and Merc.just in case a slot is bad   Found
that once things were setup correctly and Merc f/w 2.4 flashed, slot
assignment didn't seem to matter... Merc f/w 2.4 cured a lot the "ills" we
were having,, ie BAD distortion..

Hope this helps.

73
Ben W4SC