[hpsdr] warning stupid newbie question

ke9h at austin.rr.com ke9h at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 07:01:27 PST 2009

Don:

The power supplies should be within 5 percent of the target voltage and
reasonably quiet, with respect to ripple, and switching noise if you are using
switching power supplies.  I don't have a spec on "reasonably quiet", but
I would guess something like, less than 50 milliVolts at audio frequencies
and down, and a lot less than that at higher frequencies.  Otherwise, you will
get birdies up and down the receiver at harmonics of the switching frequencies.

You really don't need -12 V, since it only powers a serial port on Ozy that
is not currently being used.

+12 and +5 is all that you need for running Ozy/Penelope/Mercury in the
current configuration.

--- Graham / KE9H

==