[hpsdr] Fan Orientation

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Sat Jul 11 15:00:18 PDT 2009

I posed this question to W6PO of amplifier/Eimac fame.

With amplifiers, the air temp rise is pretty  high.  The volume of hot air leaving is greater than that of the cold air entering.  HIgh school physics there.  So we blow a smaller volume.

With big blowers, squirrel cage, etc., many do a better job of blowing than sucking so that is the limit.

My Cooler Master PC case has small fans in critical areas, a heat pipe system, and an 8 inch dia sucker on top.  Overkill.

For the small temp rise we are dealing with, try to get air blowing by the A/D and forget the rest.

N0UU