[hpsdr] New HPSDR Startup - A little Bit further

James Brown Jim at SETI.Net
Sat Jul 25 06:57:14 PDT 2009

I decided, after an email from Dave wa8ywq, to update the firmware.  Dave gave me some step-by-step instructions so this is what I did and what happened.
1. Created a directory C:\HPSDR\USB Blaster
2. Right click on it and select SVN Checkout. The directory is loaded
3. Find Read Me.
4. Logged into Altera and created an account (JB 66).
5. Downloaded the download manager and then the Quartus II Programmer and Signal Tap II. Installed in:
    C:\altera\90sp2\qprogrammer.
6. Installed just the Ozy board, cabled it up and turned it on. Nice connect sound.
7. Ran the file usbblaster.bat by double clicking on it, It disconnect Ozy and reconnected a couple of times then completed.
8.Opened the Device Manager and got it to scan for new hardware since this seems to be what the Altera instructions wants. Vista went out looking through its updates (couldn't stop it from trying) but finally came back and asked me where to look. I entered the location of the driver in the Altera directory.
9. This did work and the Device Manager now shows \Universal Serial Bus controllers\Altera USB-Blaster.
10.Set the jumper on the JTAG JP7 for Mercury (slot 5).
11. Turned on the system and ran the Program-Mecury-EPCS16.bat script. Many errors came up to do with:
" Could not find: VID and PID".  Then I moved Mercury to slot J6 and Ozy to slot J7 and ran the bat again.
This time it ran much further but then I came to a problem in the bat itself (I think).  I got several messages like:

"usb_find_busses returned: 1" and "usb_find_devices returned:1"  which I expect are good returns from routines.  I got:

"UploadFirmware<'\ozyfw-sdr1k.hex\'>...HPSDR_UploadFirmware:Precessed 740 lines.. Returns 740"

Then the bat came tot:

Which version of the Quartus Programmer are you using?

1. Quartus V8.1

2. Quartus V9.0

3 Quartus V9.0sp1

Q.Quit

I had Quartus V9.0sp2 which wasn't on the list so I picked choice 3.  The bat ran again until it came to:

Type the number and press Enter:3

A. Program using Mercury_v1

B. Program using Mercury_v2.1

. . .

H. Program using Mercury_v2.7

Q. Quit

Type the letter and press Enter:H   "I selected 'H' simply because it was the latest.

The bat replied "The system cannot find the path specified." and then quit.

It sounds like I am nearly ready to program the FPGA.  What do you think?  Should I see if I can find Quartus V9.0sp1  and try again?

Regards.......... Jim

Jim at SETI.Net
www.SETI.Net
W6KYP