[hpsdr] KISS Konsole Beta 1.0.2

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Mon Jul 13 19:02:20 PDT 2009

Hi Bill,

Yes, KK must run under Windows XP at the present time, I believe.  I'm
actually using Windows XP x64 (the 64-bit version of Win XP) but as
long as I specify to the VS2008 compiler to target x86 machines only
it works just fine on my 64-bit system (the 64-bit system emulates a
typical 32-bit system in this case).

First things first though.  The principal idea behind creating KK (as
I understand it) was to put together a software program in a single
programming language (namely, C#) that is not nearly as complex as
PowerSDR (which uses 3 different languages!), so that less-than-
professional programmers have a fighting chance of being able to get
their fingers into the programming aspect of HPSDR and actually be
able to make changes that they wish and add features that they wish.
Having accomplished that goal is the number 1 advantage currently.

As another goal, it was desired to enable KK to serve as a spectrum
analyzer as well.  Recently, the option within KK to view 0-60 MHz in
a single view has been added successfully.  In fact, in the latest
version KK lets the user select the max and min frequencies for the
wide band display, so accomplishing that goal is a second advantage
for KK currently.

Whether KK would benefit your setup depends upon what you would like
to do with your HPSDR setup.  While it is perfectly acceptable to use
whatever version is current (or earlier) as it is written, the real
advantage of KK is that it provides a reasonable software platform to
let beginner programmers experiment with changing things and making
the program do whatever you desire in whatever way you like.

Personally, I am involved in KK because I want to be able to modify a
program to run two Mercury receiver cards simultaneously for radio
astronomy tasks.  KK won't do that currently but it will before I get
done!

At the present time KK doesn't support the HPSDR transmitter board
(Penelope) but work is being to do it.  When Penelope is supported in
KK the program will be able to run the HPSDR boards as a true
transceiver, in addition to serving as a spectrum analyzer.

The software (executable and source code both) can be downloaded at
the SVN site:

svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_hpsdr_kiss

(or you can download only the (currently) latest Beta version at
svn:/06.216.146.154/svn/repos_hpsdr_kiss/trunk/Beta Release/V1.0.2 Beta)

Are you familiar with using SVN to download current versions of
PowerSDR?  If so, it's similar but targets a different set of
directories, as indicated above.

If the above still leaves you with questions or confused you more, ask
again and I'll try to be clearer in a private email to you.
Actually, KK is a lot of fun to play with and you can learn a lot by
getting it up and running and playing with it!

73,  Joe K5SO