[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 11:13:43 PDT 2009

Hi,

It is indeed a pity TAPR or anybody else cannot produce the current Ozy's at
larger quantities at the moment.
I understand that this is because of IP issues.
I hope the owner of the IP wants to reconsider if asked and maybe open up
the possibilities for a new production run by some party, be it only a
limited one.
This indeed does block new interested people to start with HPSDR because Ozy
is the key module in the HPSDR system.
Maybe a reason to start the new OzyII project with some priority.

I think the software development for the full networking functionality will
take the longest development time.
Maybe an idea could be to release it in a phased way, if possible, to speed
up the availability.

e.g.. First the basic board with a functional USB interface and hardware
provisions for Ethernet/TCP-IP but not working yet.
Then the software could be further developed for a full functional Ethernet
and/or TCP-IP interface while people could use it in the mean time as an
equivalent to the current Ozy.
Or even make networking a full optional thing for people to choose and maybe
save some money if not interested in this functionality.

The risk in this route is of course that the hardware for the networking
part is final from the day the released board is made available.
Maybe the network option idea could be done by a daughter card to minimize
that risk.

73's,

Henry.