[hpsdr] Duplex and Full Duplex

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Thu Jul 23 16:42:14 PDT 2009

Two issues--
(1)  The current USB communication protocol contains only one frequency,
which is used by both
Penelope and Mercury, so RX & TX are on the same frequency.  For useful
full duplex, we'll need
to send separate RX and TX frequencies.

(2) PowerSDR uses DttSP, which is set up to switch between RX and TX
modes, processing
received audio in RX, and mic audio (or other modulation) during TX.
This is not a fundamental
limitation, as the code can be easily modified to perform both kinds of
processing "simultaneously".
Full duplex will require higher CPU usage.

The Alex filter modules are somewhat independent, but there is a T/R
relay.  Some thought will be
required here.

Dave
wa8ywq