[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Larry Gadallah lgadallah at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 11:09:33 PDT 2009

2009/7/19 Matthew J Wolf <mwolf at speciosus.net>:
> In the case of Ethernet Layer 2 (Data Link Layer) there are two IEEE
> sublayers. First on the bottom is the IEEE 802.3 Access Control (MAC).
> Then on the top of MAC is the IEEE 802.2 Logical Link Control (LLC),
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Link_Control .

Digging down a little further, it would be interesting to consider
what EtherType (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherType) would be most
appropriate for use for OzyII (and/or other SDR applications). My
thought is that we should try to select an existing EtherType with the
most compatibility with current and future Ethernet switching/bridging
devices as opposed to selecting our own or using some existing but
obscure EtherType value that is either incompatible or not well tested
with a broad range of Ethernet hardware. It might also be worth
considering using an IEEE 802.2 header instead of an EtherType, since
it would allow some rudimentary broadcast and routing capabilities.

How about something like EtherType 0x8906 (Fibre Channel over
Ethernet), since what we want to do basically is to ship a lot of data
from an ADC and/or FPGA decimator to another host?

--
Larry Gadallah, VE6VQ/W7                          lgadallah AT gmail DOT com
PGP Sig: 917E DDB7 C911 9EC1 0CD9  C06B 06C4 835F 0BB8 7336