[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

jeff millar jeff at wa1hco.net
Sun Jul 26 11:29:07 PDT 2009

Alberto I2PHD wrote:

> jeff millar wrote:
>>
>> Linrad uses a series of FFT's to break down a 96 KHz sample stream
>> into SSB or CW bandwidths. The size of the FFTs depends the bandwidth
>> of the incoming sample stream. For a wide band SDR, the size of the
>> FFT will grow and the processing power also grows by what's called "N
>> log(N)".
>
> You don't need a series of FFTs to reduce the bandwidth....
> You can just do a downconversion (lowpass filtering + decimation)
> on the time domain signal. Using FFTs to do that is not much
> computationally efficient.
>
> This is how it is done in Winrad, and it works. In Winrad the FFTs
> are used only for the visual aspects of the program (apart from the
> final bandpass filtering, done with the overlap-and-save technique).
Certainly FIR filters work. But FFT based filters have an advantage over
FIR filters when the number of FIR coefficients becomes large. Two
filter requirement drive the number of taps required, the skirt
selectivity and the stop band attenuation. Skirt selectivity is
expressed as a fraction of the sample rate, so the required number of
taps rises with the sample rate through the filter. This mean that FIR
computational load grows as N squared because both the rate of
multiplications and the quantity of multiplications grows linearly with
sample rate. FFT based filters only grow a N log2(N) vs sample rate.

If we design an SDR with high bandwidth between the SDR and the PC, then
it more likely that an FFT based filtering scheme will have better
performance than an FIR based approach.

FFTs have a number of practical advantages as well. Since it's a common
algorithm, the code becomes highly optimized. New technologies focus on
the FFT as a core building block. The new 4G wireless networks will all
use OFDMA modulation protocol based on FFTs. The new OpenCL (and similar
computational accelerators) have the FFT as the baseline implemetation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

Another problem with FIR and decimation based filtering approaches turns
up in practical implementations of DSP for high dynamic range radios.
Each decimation looks like another mixer with opposite sideband
rejection to worry about. That means that each of the decimation filters
needs about 100 dB of stop band attenuation to keep up with the rest of
the high dynamic range radio. High stop band attenuation requires more
taps or cascading of several filters. It also require more numerical
precision...making fixed point implementations less practical. FFT based
algorithms can work on the entire bandwidth without decimation.

As an aside, an interesting alternative to FFT based filters for narrow
band signals seems to be Frequency Sampling Filters described in Richard
Lyons book, "Understanding Digital Signal Processing", Chapter 7. Those
filters can provide excellent skirt selectivity and full tunability in
frequency and bandwidth for signals much narrower than the sampled
bandwidth.

jeff, wa1hco