[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Larry Gadallah lgadallah at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 12:39:46 PDT 2009

2009/7/26 jeff millar <jeff at wa1hco.net>:
> Regular Ethernet layer 2, when used with an Ethernet switch provides some
> routing capability. The switch learns which ports to connect based on which
> ports respond to traffic. Other ports don't get the majority of the traffic
>>
>> How about something like EtherType 0x8906 (Fibre Channel over
>> Ethernet), since what we want to do basically is to ship a lot of data
>> from an ADC and/or FPGA decimator to another host?
>>

> The basic idea of using only the lower layers is to minimize the amount of
> logic necessary in the FPGA. Ethernet layer 2 is probably sufficient, What
> does fiber channel offer that would make the extra complexity worthwhile?

Jeff, I'm not proposing to use fibre channel, only to use the fibre
channel sub-type for Ethernet layer 2 frames. What I had tried to
explain is that we should use Ethernet layer 2 frames with a sub-type
that is likely to be known and handled correctly by present-day
Ethernet hardware. The reference to fibre channel over Ethernet was
only to suggest a particular sub-type that would carry the least
amount of protocol "baggage" above layer 2. If you look at the various
Ethernet layer 2 sub-types that are available, some of them add a
significant amount of overhead above layer 2.

--
Larry Gadallah, VE6VQ/W7                          lgadallah AT gmail DOT com
PGP Sig: 917E DDB7 C911 9EC1 0CD9  C06B 06C4 835F 0BB8 7336