[hpsdr] Spring Cleaning

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 18:30:47 PDT 2009

Hi All,
I was stuck on a work mission to Ca. and didn't get a chance to load the new software until an hour ago. Everything went well until I opened Power SDR. Stalled no CPU time no configuration versions on set up just leds blinking on Penny and Mercury. I have been collecting software on desktop folders since Mercury was born. I deleted all these files and loaded power SDR one more time. It took a couple power cycles and restarts and everything came up working.
There is a lot of static tonight and thought I heard a couple stalls but my set up will run 192K with the 256 buffer with no distortion.
So maybe all the problems for some of us computer losers are due to sloppy house keeping. I tend to save everything with a basement to prove it.
My CPU is running about 9% with jumps to 12%. That was with the network cable connected.
One of the posts I read was for a new Ozy with protection on the USB. The best one I know of is 2 high speed diodes to two transorbs biased positive and negative with pullups and pulldowns. This clips any voltage swing in either direction. The diodes isolate the junction C of the transorbs. Multiple diodes can protect multiple signals into a single transorb.
Another note. I was traveling with an ED manager and he told me these new dense FPGAs have a limited life due to spacing inside the die. This won't be like swapping out a 6J5 when the time comes for us.
You software guys ROCK!!  Frank, WA1GFZ