[hpsdr] Multi-h CPM (very much off topic)

Charles Brain chbrain at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 12 03:21:52 PDT 2009

Hello All,

I know this is a bit off topic but one of the reasons
I bought HPSDR hardware was so I could experiment
with new (to me) waveforms at VHF and above.

Is there anyone that has access to a copy of the IEEE
articles written by Aulin, Rydbeck and Sundberg in 1981/2
on Continuous Phase Modulation?

I have a copy of Proakis 'Digital Communications' and in that
there is a table of gains over MSK of various multi-h CPM
waveforms. Unfortunately there is no explanation (that I can understand)
of the various columns in the table. The table was taken from the Aulin article.

Failing that I have a question for a CPM expert about 2H multi-h CPM.
Why does the M2 H2 waveform have the h values of 1/2 and 1/2 I thought the
idea was to use different modulation indices on each transmitted symbol to
increase the distance of the paths through the trellis?

I am also trying to get a copy of MIL-STD 188-181C which uses multi-h
CPM for UHF satellite up / downlinks. I am interested in the h values they
use. So far I can only find 181A which does not include the 'new' CPM
waveforms.

Sorry for the bandwidth!!

- Charles G4GUO