[hpsdr] Saga of not working

Richard Ames richard at ames.id.au
Tue Jun 2 20:46:22 PDT 2009

Phil - Thanks for helping me with this!  Answers interleaved in your
message below.

On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 21:23 +0800, Phil Harman wrote:

> Richard,
>

> > Tested analog portion of Mercury - 50mv at 7.1 Mhz at BNC connector
> > produces 400mv top of C95 (ie input of ADC) - both voltages with respect
> > to the BNC shell.  Is this normal?
>
> That looks OK.
> >
> > Fast forward to today - Loaded all the new SW (firmware) without
> > incident, downloaded current PowerSDR. Deleted PowerSDR MDB file and
> > started up...  working OK on 40M.... then same as before - general noise
> > level went up, the ADC overload was flashing, and then no signal on the
> > display or in the headphones.  Power off.  Restart - Now PowerSDR says
> > the firmware version is wrong.
> >

> My quess is a possible intermittent joint on the Mercury board, but lets
> take it a step at a time.
>
> 1. When you first turn on your board set with the USB plugged into the PC do
> you hear the
> Windows tones that indicate the Ozy board has been detected?

Yes.

> 2.  Edit initozy11.bat and add Pause on the last line.  Run initozy11.bat
> and read the information
> in the DOS window - does it indicate any errors?

Yes. All the 'WriteI2C' commands fail.

> 3. When you run PowerSDR does it complain that it can't find the Ozy board
> or that the version of code
> in the Ozy board is wrong or that the version of code in Mercury is wrong?

Yes.

> 4.  Look on the Setup>General> HPSDR tab - what Firmware versions are
> reported?

Ozy FX2 20090524, Ozy: 0, Mercury: 0, Penelope: 0

> 5. Do you have a 'scope?

Yes... basic 5Mhz. I have access to much better one.

> 6. What LEDs are lit on all the boards and which ones flash?

On Ozy - On steady: D2,5,6,7,8,12  Flashing: D1,9
On Mercury - Steady Red: D3 Steady Green D1,14,15,17

Regards,

Richard.