[hpsdr] To Fan or Not to Fan

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Jun 3 05:37:32 PDT 2009

I don't know that anyone has done any thermal modeling of Pandora plus
LPU, but our gut feeling is that you will want to move some air across
the LPU heatsinks and dropping resistor, particularly if you are feeding
with 13.8 volts (as opposed to something lower).

LPU needs to dissipate a fair bit of power to drop 13.8 down to 5V at
1.35A (the draw of an Ozy/Penny/Mercury stack), and while everything is
running within ratings, the box will get pretty warm.  Mounting a fan
using the cutouts provided in the Pandora cover will keep things nice
and cool.

Also, note that there is a new errata for LPU; it's included in the
errata sheet for the docs.  The PTC fuse in the 5V supply is underrated
and will go into thermal cutout if you are running a full stack of
boards.  The fix is to bypass that fuse, as it doesn't really provide
much protection on top of the regulator's own overcurrent and overtemp
circuitry.  There's also an optional suggestion about increasing the
value of the 2.2 ohm resistor to get rid of more voltage in the resistor
and less in the regulator.

John
----