[hpsdr] To Fan or Not to Fan

Willi Reppel wi.re at telia.com
Wed Jun 3 10:39:21 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I had problems before with Flex Radio´s SDR1000 and its heat dissipation
plate with mounted 5 V regulator under the stack of boards. Frequent heating
and cooling (expansion and contraction) of the boards  led to changing
contact resistance and sudden malfunctions. I had to twist the boards and
/or entire board stack to get the radio back to operation.
For the HPSDR project I bought a toroid transformer with 2 x 15 V secondary
output windings and removed by try and error enough turns from the outer
secondary and lowered the voltage of one of the 15 V ac transfor-mer
windings so that the 5 V dc regulator sees approx. 7.5 V dc at its input. It
is reasonable to let a transformer do what it is intended for instead of
dissipating energy with a fan to ambient and, LOL, contribute to global
warming.

vy 73 de
SM6OMH  Willi
Atlas, Ozi, Penny, Mercury and IC 735 PA module.