[hpsdr] spectrum increased frequency resolution?

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Mon Jun 8 16:41:43 PDT 2009

See also

Spectral analysis for physical applications: multitaper and conventional
univariate techniques
Donald B. Percival, Andrew T. Walden
Cambridge University Press, 1993
ISBN 0521435412, 9780521435413

It's really good.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM, David McQuate <mcquate at sonic.net> wrote:

> If I have a block of samples (say N = 4096, fs = 122.88 Msps),
> a straightforward FFT produces data with frequency resolution of 30kHz.
>
> Is there a technique that will allow me to obtain information on a finer
> frequency grid (say 1kHz or 300Hz or ...)--other than "simply" acquiring
> additional data, extending the length of the time record?
>
> I've looked at Chirp-Z transforms and polyphase decimation, but neither
> seems to produce higher frequency resolution.  I've also looked into DttSP,
> but not found a solution there.
>
> Am I hoping for the impossible?
>
> Suggestions please.
>
> 73,
> Dave
> wa8ywq

...although production beyond capacity is a contradiction in terms, it is
observed every day in academia. -- Frank Knight