[hpsdr] Pandora & Shielding

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Mon Mar 16 09:56:48 PDT 2009

I plan to run my hpsdr with an amplifier at full legal limit.  I also
want to be sure to maximize receiver performance.  Therefore, I've been
concerned that there may be the need to have the boardset
well-protected, from an RF point-of-view, from the external environment.

First of all, does anyone have practical experience with the importance
of grounding and shielding (or not) for hpsdr?

To prevent RF currents on cable shields from flowing through the circuit
boards, I think the best method is to bond the shield of each external
connector to the box where it exits.  Therefore, I was thinking of
mounting Atlas in a different location or position in Pandora, bringing
only the cables that require external connection (e.g., antenna,
microphone) to the outside of the box, and using connectors bonded to
the box for these external connections.

I don't know if I can do this with Pandora or not.  Any thoughts on this
would be appreciated.

Even if I can't practically do this with Pandora, I have to say that it
has a lot of great features and I'll get one as a "starter" box.

Warren, NR0V