[hpsdr] Anie

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 18:30:50 PDT 2009

Hi All,
I think a great interface for a preselector would be the DB25 on Ozy. We could output 16 bits of 4 bit BCD to give 10 KHz resolution to tune a preselector,  This would be the center frequency on the display. Phil, You may remember the schematic I sent you of the Cubic pre-post selector. There are a number of different mil versions by Collins and Harris to name two others. The Cubic is set up to handle 1/2 watt of power and has a TR relay.
This would also be a good interface for anyone who would want to build a homebrew preselector. I was on the air a few nights ago and something in the area saturated the Mercury A/D for the first time so I see a need for a better preselector rather than a simple wideband filter. The Harris RF590 has a nice small tunable unit but I don't know the interface. A serial string would also work but I think 10 KHz resolution should be enough.
I have used my Cubic pre-post selector in series with Mercury and find the performance quite good. I would think this is the next step in improving a beautiful receiver.
Frank WA1GFZ

P.S. My friends have been sending my on air tapes of Penny with the comment that I have never sounded better.