[hpsdr] HPSDR Preselectors and Front Ends

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Mar 1 03:35:47 PST 2009

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your post regarding a narrow band RF filter for Mercury. You are
quite correct that  Graham, KE9H, and I did look at the Hilberling PT-8000
input filter when we started the design for Alex.  I found that even with a
very large core the filter would degrade the IP3 of Mercury. This seemed to
be true of any design that used a resonant circuit for it's main
selectivity.  I also found that measuring IP3 > +40dBm was very hard. In
fact I had to build special test equipment to enable me to get meaningful
readings, since even good quality commercial equipment was not giving me the
required results.

In terms of the requirement for  narrower RF selectivity I guess we will
need user feedback.  I live in a very quiet part of the world so don't have
dozens of 59+ CW signals to contend with during a contest - in fact in this
part of the sun spot cycle I have very few signals at all!

At the moment I'm not aware of a project to build a narrow RF filter so your
design could be of interest to others. Perhaps we could support the
selection of coil taps and capacitors from the Atlas bus (or Mercury) so a
Basic Stamp  is not required.

If you let me have a copy of your notes I'll arrange for them to be placed
on the Wiki.

Thanks again for telling us about your interesting project.

73's Phil...VK6APH